A few Question's

Anything related to MV3D.

Moderator: SirGolan

A few Question's

Postby mureth » Thu Apr 03, 2008 9:16 pm

Okay, This MMO maker looks really good but i have a few question's before downloading

1. Can this make Cities? i really need a city setting since the game is based in a city

2. Could player's start of as a Moster instead of Human? Say Zombies, Demons and Vampires

3. Is there a Certain Code i could imput that allow's the player when they log off to still be on the map or will i have to make that code myself? I don't mind if i desgined the code

These are main requierment (Spelling?) i need for my game. Even if this engine don't have these things i will try it out for personal use
mureth

Re: A few Question's

Postby SirGolan » Thu Apr 03, 2008 11:08 pm

Hi there,

Thanks for your interest! Right now, MV3D is still in an early development, so most of what you mentioned isn't currently possible. However:

1. Yes, Cities, Space Sim games, whatever you like. However, most likely, you'll need to make custom rules and object types in Python in order to get everything as you want it.

2. Yes, definitely. Keep in mind that MV3D is a virtual world world simulation framework rather than a MMORPG construction kit. It tries to stay out of your way as far as game logic goes, so it is very open ended in this sense.

3. This is already the case. :) It's how I originally envisioned MV3D would work. However, I don't believe any more that this is feasible for anything other than a very small online game. If you take for example PlaneShift, which is another open source MMO, they have (last I checked) over 100,000 registered users, and only maybe 100 of them are online at a time. Probably 80,000 of them don't even play any more. So, what would happen if players there didn't disappear from the world when they logged out is that the server would then have to always be thinking about all 100,000 players. It definitely would require quite a lot more servers to run the game in that case.

To clarify, MV3D isn't an MMORPG construction kit. It isn't intended to be something you can use to develop an online game without writing any code (or only a minimal amount). Certainly, at some point (hopefully in the near future!), the world editing tools will be good enough that you can just spin up a server and create a very nice looking world, but applying any sort of game logic apart from whatever examples are provided with MV3D is outside of the scope of the project. With that said, I'm not saying that I don't have plans to make any game logic modules. :) I'm just mostly saying that anything like that will be separate from MV3D itself. Make sense?

I realize the wiki pages could better reflect this. :) I'm working on updating them.
SirGolan
Site Admin

Return to General Discussion