New Visitors here!

Anything related to MV3D.

Moderator: SirGolan

New Visitors here!

Postby RTWfreak132 » Thu Apr 10, 2008 9:23 am

Hey SirGolan.

I would just like to say hi, and thank you for making MV3D open source. I have alread downloaded the source files.

That being said I would like to introduce myself just in case you start hearing from me. I'm not really a programmer per se. Ive dabbled in C++ privately, have made a website that involved writing and/or manipulating html, css, php. A shame it's not up, but was quite impressive for the 6 weeks it took me to build. hehe that included learning it too.

That was for a EQ2 guild 3 years ago, which explains why my site isn't up, eh?

Anyway, I'm wanting to start learnin python as a hobby. I'm very logic minded, pretty creative, and once I get used to reading/writing code it doesn't seem like greek to me! So as part of my learning process I'll be looking at MV3D to get a feel for modules and functions needed to make games. I'll try not to ask any questions that aren't well thought out so....without further adieu

keep up the great work. I hope it becomes what you dreamed it to be!
RTWfreak132

Re: New Visitors here!

Postby SirGolan » Thu Apr 10, 2008 6:21 pm

Hey, welcome!

Python is definitely a great language to program in. After writing C++ for years and years, I have to say that I'd be happy to never need to write another line of it again. Glad to see you've downloaded the code. Feel free to ask any questions!

I look forward to seeing you around on the forums or in the demo world.

Thanks,
Mike
SirGolan
Site Admin

Postby multiverseuser » Sat Apr 12, 2008 8:56 am

Welcome indeed!

I have been looking at MV3D and I like what I see. I didn't get to introduce myself,
I just jump in, head first. So here it goes.

I have experience writing C++ and python is lot better. I have been playing
with python and python-ogre for over a year. I really like it.

As far the artistic side goes, I use blender and GIMP for models. I do a lot
of tweaking mostly. Texturing is very hard. I have created some skeletal and vertex
animation. At times it can be challenging, I rather stick with the programing side.

I'm hoping that more documentation and more improvements will draw more
attention to this project and perhaps more collaborators.

I think RTWfreak132 has started a good topic!

Thanks,
multiverseuser

Postby RTWfreak132 » Sat Apr 12, 2008 9:22 am

Hi MV3duser.

Just a few things to add. There are some tutorials that really help w/ texturing models here: http://mbx.streetofeyes.com/index.php/topic,851.0.html They are zipped wmv files made w/ fraps I believe. he is using Blender and talks quick but if you watch it a few times, you'll be texturing in no time. Also, I have Blender, Wings and 3ds max for models, although I'm still learning. I know the 3ds max sounds cool, but I got it from a friend, still learning and for the time being prefer blender for simplicity.

I really want to learn more python so I've been going through the python-ogre tutorial, if it reads the way I think it does, looks like ogre does most of the grunt work for you so you can focus on the game mechanics and material properties. Comment on this if you would like.

That being said, I'm still a noob to this so I can contribute only ideas and links for the time being.

--cheers
RTWfreak132

Return to General Discussion