Help Test The New Windows Installer

Anything related to MV3D.

Moderator: SirGolan

Help Test The New Windows Installer

Postby SirGolan » Wed Dec 03, 2008 7:52 am

I spent some time tonight working on an installer for Windows. It installs the client currently. I'd appreciate it if a couple of people could test it. This client version is unfortunately not too useful unless you have your own MV3D server. The version it installs is newer than the alpha version and some things have changed which will cause them not to work together. You should be able to run MV3D and see the login screen if everything works. If it doesn't, try running it from a console and pasting the errors here. Let me know if you have any of the following installed on your system:

• python
  • ogre (or python-ogre)
  • twisted
  • Divmod Combinator

The download is 37MB and you can get it here.

The cool thing is that I now have a completely automated script that creates the client EXE and packages it up in the installer. This means every release from now on can have a nice windows installer.

Thanks,

Mike
SirGolan
Site Admin

Re: Help Test The New Windows Installer

Postby duber » Sun Dec 14, 2008 7:43 pm

Hi Mike,

I recently became interested in your project and wanted to try out your windows installer, the link doesn't seem to work though. Is there another installer I should download?

duber
duber

Postby SirGolan » Mon Dec 15, 2008 4:58 am

Hey duber,

Welcome! Glad to hear of your interest!

I did just fix the link. Unfortunately, the demo server is down right now due to a power outage. That link is also to a newer version of the client that isn't compatible. On the downloads page, there should be a zip file off the most recent release that will work with the demo server once it is back up again. It should be back in a day or so.

Thanks,

Mike
SirGolan
Site Admin

Postby duber » Tue Dec 16, 2008 2:29 am

Hi Mike,

I understand that the demo server is still down.

Do these warning messages (screenshot attached) help? I'm running Windows Vists 64bit, I don't have any of the items you listed installed.
warnings.jpg
warnings
warnings.jpg (33.72 KiB) Viewed 107737 times
duber

Postby SirGolan » Wed Dec 17, 2008 2:48 am

Hi duber,

Thanks for the info on those warnings. I had that issue on my system, and it looks like it made it into the installer as well. I fixed it locally, so the next installer I put out shouldn't have that issue. You can safely ignore the warnings though, they don't prevent anything from working. Did the client window open up at all?

Thanks,

Mike
SirGolan
Site Admin

Postby duber » Wed Dec 17, 2008 7:43 pm

It sure did. The login window looked fine.
duber

Postby polyfractal » Fri Dec 19, 2008 5:57 pm

Aside from the Python errors mentioned above, worked for me as well
polyfractal

Postby SirGolan » Sat Dec 20, 2008 4:30 am

This is great to hear. I am planning on getting the next release out asap, but I'm thinking that in the mean time, I may just want to upgrade the demo server to trunk so that the client you two downloaded can be run against it.

Thanks,

Mike
SirGolan
Site Admin

Postby SirGolan » Sat Dec 20, 2008 5:21 pm

I've upgraded the demo server to work with the client from the Windows install. So everyone who has tried it should be able to make an account on the MV3D Login Server. After you've made an account, you should be able to connect to pb://alpha.mv3d.com:1999 with that account and create a character. A few caveats I noticed while testing:

1. Your character doesn't show up after you create it until you exit and then log back in. #310
2. Your character starts way up in the air. Just move a little and you'll fall to the ground. Sometimes this confuses the new camera it seems. Give it a few minutes or quit and come back after you've fallen to the ground to fix it. #309
3. Instead of a login error when entering a bad password or username, you get a 500 Internal Server error. #308
4. The cube objects are messed up. I think that was user error on my part when adding them and I should be able to fix them soon.
5. This server will no longer work with the 0.32 release of MV3D.

Enjoy,

Mike
SirGolan
Site Admin

Postby polyfractal » Sat Dec 20, 2008 10:11 pm

Just logged on with the client and got a partial success. I successfully created a character and logged in, however, moving around the landscape was impossible. The camera constantly swings from the front of the character to the back (always staying focused on the character model), making it very difficult to navigate. There are also artifacts in the distance and looks like the skybox is clipping with something behind it (dark texture, night skybox perhaps?)

Lastly, performance overall seems very slow. Perhaps it doesn't like my setup? I'm currently working on a laptop with a Radeon Mobility integrated card, so that may be a source of the problems.

Edit: It appears my FPS is around 5 :(
polyfractal

Next

Return to General Discussion