Ogre vs Panda

Problems, questions, anything else related to the MV3D client.

Moderator: SirGolan

Ogre vs Panda

Postby koteko » Tue Aug 09, 2011 4:48 pm

Hi there, I have been trying to compile python-ogre on Ubuntu Natty for a week, without success. So I guess what's the difference, for a developer with the intention to use MV3D, of having some clients with Panda and some with Ogre? Which file formats should I use? Is there a way to ensure compatibility?
koteko

Re: Ogre vs Panda

Postby SirGolan » Tue Aug 09, 2011 8:03 pm

koteko wrote:Hi there, I have been trying to compile python-ogre on Ubuntu Natty for a week, without success. So I guess what's the difference, for a developer with the intention to use MV3D, of having some clients with Panda and some with Ogre? Which file formats should I use? Is there a way to ensure compatibility?

Yeah getting Python-Ogre to compile on Linux is really hard. I've gotten it to the point where everything is there except the ogreforests module (which of course MV3D uses), but so far haven't been able to solve the issues with that.

Right now there isn't a way to make a single world that works for both Ogre and Panda. The eventual plan is to create some meta-asset types for MV3D. Currently, we have Ogre model asset types and Panda model asset types. So, we'll create a generic model asset type that would load up the Panda model or Ogre model depending on what renderer you were running with. The other tricky part is materials. They work a lot differently between Ogre and Panda. We've been considering writing a material description file format specific to MV3D that could be used to generate materials on either renderer.

The other idea we've talked about (which is currently very do-able for non-animated models) is to make a converter between Panda and Ogre so that you could automatically convert your models from one to the other. This would make using the generic model asset type much easier.

Anwayy, unfortunately, none of these things are done right now, so it's not possible to make a single world for both. What the demo servers do is provide one area for Panda and one for Ogre.

Hope that helps!

Mike
SirGolan
Site Admin

Postby koteko » Fri Aug 26, 2011 12:04 pm

Hi Mike,

yep this helps a lot :)

I've tried to build a complete package for python-ogre on ubuntu, but I've been unsuccessful (I've very little time in this period). But I managed to successfully compile ogre, ois, cegui, with modules caelum and ogreforests..so maybe if you want, you could try to build a package for it :)

The problem with ogreforest was in the boost python library (the Sleep function with __stdcall), and in particular in the gccxml compile argument -D"WIN32" which should be different I guess.

I did in this way: I edited the file yield.hpp removing __stdcall from the Sleep function and it worked :)

Here the person who helped me on the gccxml mailing list: http://www.gccxml.org/pipermail/gccxml/ ... 01453.html

I saw a lot of little errors in the flow of building-generating-compiling of BuildModule.py, and I gave up to correct the others for a matter of time :( and for example I could not find where to fix the gccxml argument, setting a linux argument instead of the WIN32...

Another problem, for me, with a packaging, is that I did not use the "--use-system" because it install directly on the root directory, overwriting my previous files (I like my OS to be "clean", with every program installed by the package manager).

So all of this to say..maybe in the next future I'll be able to set up a repository with up-to-date package of python-ogre and some additional modules, but first I have to better understand how to package stuff and how the python-ogre script works. If you already have these skills maybe we can manage to have a little repository, at least for mv3d only, in a few days.

Thank you for all your work.

ps: would it be possible to have a python2.7 compatible version of mv3d? Or is this too difficult/time-consuming?
Last edited by koteko on Sun Aug 28, 2011 11:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
koteko

Postby SirGolan » Sat Aug 27, 2011 4:36 pm

koteko wrote:yep this helps a lot :)

Good! Happy to help.

koteko wrote:I've tried to build a complete package for python-ogre on ubuntu, but I've been unsuccessful (I've very little time in this period). But I managed to successfully compile ogre, ois, cegui, with modules caelum and ogreforests..so maybe if you want, you could try to build a package for it :)

Can you import ogreforests successfully? That was the problem I eventually ran into. Here's the post I made to the forum which details how to reproduce the problem:

http://www.ogre3d.org/addonforums/viewt ... 595#p81697

If that doesn't happen for you, then that's awesome! And you also got further than I was able to. :)

koteko wrote:So all of this to say..maybe in the next future I'll be able to set up a repository with up-to-date package of python-ogre e some additional modules, but first I have to better understand how to package stuff and how the python-ogre script works. If you already have these skills maybe we can manage to have a little repository, at least for mv3d only, in a few days.

I'd love to get packages for Python-Ogre (and I'm sure so would everyone who uses it or wants to use it)! The last time I tried to use their set of deb building configuration files, it failed completely. I've never built debs before, so I didn't really know where to start looking to fix the problems.

koteko wrote:ps: would it be possible to have a python2.7 compatible version of mv3d? Or is this too difficult/time-consuming?

Are there problems running on python 2.7? I think it should just work, but I don't have a VM set up yet to try it. My goal (if I can find the hardware and time) is to have a VM set up with every supported OS/Python/Renderer configuration for MV3D so that the tests can be run on all of them. This would make it easier to officially support various platforms.

By the way, sorry I didn't catch you when you stopped by IRC yesterday. It was a pretty busy day at work, so I didn't notice until after you left the channel.

Thanks,

Mike
SirGolan
Site Admin

Postby koteko » Sun Aug 28, 2011 8:01 pm

I tried a rebuild and it worked fine..the caelum demo works, whilst the ogreforests demos, this time, don't work. The error:

Traceback (most recent call last):
File "Demo_Forest_02.py", line 6, in <module>
import ogre.addons.ogreforests as forests
File "/usr/local/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/ogre/addons/ogreforests/__init__.py", line 1, in <module>
from _ogreforests_ import *
ImportError: dynamic module does not define init function (init_ogreforests_)

So strange :| I'm going to try again.
koteko

Postby koteko » Sun Aug 28, 2011 8:13 pm

Ah, the 2.7 issue was about a module of panda, "ShowBase". It seems that my version of panda doesn't like python2.7 :P so no problem at all between mv3d and python2.7

Bye!
koteko

Postby SirGolan » Sun Aug 28, 2011 10:13 pm

koteko wrote:Ah, the 2.7 issue was about a module of panda, "ShowBase". It seems that my version of panda doesn't like python2.7 :P so no problem at all between mv3d and python2.7

That would make sense. I don't think Panda supports 2.7 yet. Their SDK uses 2.6.

Let me know how things go recompiling ogreforests. The error you got seems sort of familiar to me, but I'm not sure what I did to get past it.

Mike
SirGolan
Site Admin

Return to Client Software