Mesh

Discussions on creating and importing assets into MV3D.

Moderator: SirGolan

Re: Mesh

Postby SirGolan » Sun Apr 20, 2008 4:48 pm

Hey..

I can use zip files with no problem. Just I the link you gave above to the dragon zip file actually went to the jpg screenshot of it. :)

Thanks for getting all this stuff together. You are running on the SVN version of MV3D, right? As opposed to the 0.30 zip file.

Mike
SirGolan
Site Admin

Postby multiverseuser » Sun Apr 20, 2008 4:55 pm

No, problem.

I'm running the release version mostly. I can do SVN but I need to change
a few of the config files. Oh, I haven't try the latest SVN. I will shortly.

Is there any new commands (parameters) for the server?
multiverseuser

Postby SirGolan » Sun Apr 20, 2008 5:21 pm

For the SVN version on the server, the grass and tree options should work. Also, the "Create" button on the PC selection screen shows up and lets you create a new character. You'll have to download a new SetupAssets.py though since some of the asset creation syntax changed a bit to better support Windows vs Unix filenames.
SirGolan
Site Admin

Postby SirGolan » Sun Apr 20, 2008 10:41 pm

Nice!! I just got the dragon working!

Though now, I'm thinking it'd be cooler to make it so that the dragon flew around instead of walking (i.e. wasn't affected by gravity). I'll have to think about how hard that'd be, but I do know that I've been thinking about making a character that flew for a while now-- mostly because it would help to test things if I didn't have to hit jump a million and one times. I didn't think of using the Dragon mesh, but was considering the "RZR" spaceship-- I like the dragon better.

The other thing I'm thinking about is if maybe it'd be worth-while to make a little simple pvp combat game for people to play on the server. We'd need a couple more attacking animations, and some code to keep track of hitpoints (plus a respawn mechanism). Maybe I'll spec that out a little more (happy to hear ideas) and put that in the next release.

I figured out what was wrong with ninja1.. For some reason, I must have saved the HTML download page instead of the actual model. I suspect it works fine now, but haven't tried it just yet.
SirGolan
Site Admin

Postby multiverseuser » Mon Apr 21, 2008 12:26 am

Cool!

The dragon its a lot cooler than the razor. However there is a python-ogre demo that
shows the razor with some particles to "power the engine" it may be worth giving a try.
The robot1.material is calling robot.jpg. It should call robot1.jpg

I did try the the branch for the character selection but it doesn't work.
I do not see anything when I run the server/client. I can't choose anything.

The grass and tree options do not work either. Twistd reports a -g unsupported command.

As far the next release is concerned. I think the terrain boundary needs to be fixed.
I can't remember how many times I have fallen out the map.
Personally, I like to explore more than "fighting" it out.
I would make the terrain more challenging with canyons, caves, bridges, etc. for this purpose.
After mortal kombat, people expect a lot from fighting games so animation needs to be good.
I can help with that. I'm just a newbie on animations but I can animate some.

I think MV3D needs particle emission along with a portal similar to a stargate
to move in/out of universes or teleporting within within the given universe.
(your re-spawning mechanism kind of fits here). Sounds would make the portal even better.
Lightsaber are really cool with that sound.

MV3d requires buildings, pyramids, columns, statues, ruins, etc.
Most of this can be repacked from ogre. Some of these meshes can be morphed into others.
You already have grass and trees for forest and jungle settings.

It would be nice to have more objects to kick around to show off the physics engine.

I would like to help with whatever I can.
multiverseuser

Postby SirGolan » Mon Apr 21, 2008 6:17 am

I think there's a zombie model somewhere in the Python-Ogre demos. That might be a fun one to get working. I just completed a ticket to add a model selector to the character generator.

If you aren't getting grass and such from SVN trunk, you should probably check your PYTHONPATH to make sure it's pointed at the right place. If you do twistd mv3d --help, you should get these options:

Code: Select all
Usage: twistd [options] mv3d [options]
Options:
  -i, --initialize     Initialize a world
  -e, --perlin         Set this to generate terrain with perlin noise
  -g, --grass          Enable grass
  -c, --config-file=   The file to load configuration from. [default:
                       server.conf]
  -m, --config-name=   The section name in the config file to read from.
                       [default: Server]
  -N, --nservers=      The number of servers to run. [default: 1]
  -p, --port=          Set the Port to listen on. [default: 1999]
  -n, --num-players=   Set the number of players to create if initialize=1
                       [default: 0]
  -C, --num-cubes=     Set the number of cubes to create if initialize=1
                       [default: 0]
  -d, --disable=       Disable all created objects [default: 0]
  -a, --num-areas=     Number of areas to create if initialize=1 [default: 1]
  -j, --join-realm=    Number of a realm to join [default: -1]
  -t, --terrain-size=  Number of terrains to create [default: 0]
  -P, --parent=        Set our parent server to this (host:port)
  -T, --trees=         Set the number of trees [default: 0]
      --version
      --help           Display this help and exit.

I'd love to get building and such in the demo. Partly that requires some better world editing tools, but also of course needs models. I do have some around, but most of them haven't been properly exported to Ogre. For example, this dwarf model is all rigged for animation and everything. Just I wasn't able to get it into Ogre without it distorting (like the image you showed me earlier I think). There are some others I have laying around from previous versions of MV3D.

It would be nice to have some particle effects. I was sort of thinking either a splash when you jump in the water, or dust that gets kicked up when something hits the ground hard would be cool. As far as things that could show off the physics more, I do have a beachball object that could be put back in. It probably wouldn't be hard to find a barrel mesh, too.

A great place to help out is basically doing what you have been doing in getting models into the game. Once I get the framework in place for the new in game editor, there will be plenty of plugins to write for that if you are interested in doing some coding. I think I'll hit that ticket next if I don't decide to bang out the 3rd person camera related ticket first.

As far as falling off the map, one thing I could do for the little demo world is to basically put invisible bumpers on all the edges of the map so that you just can't walk past them. That's probably a good idea and is pretty easy to do.
SirGolan
Site Admin

Postby multiverseuser » Tue Apr 22, 2008 3:53 am

Hello,

I was not able to find the armature for the dwarf. I'll work on getting more stuff
onto the game.

The invisible barriers are good solutions, I think you need to extend the terrain
so that it looks like you are in a big world but you can't move into into because of the barriers
Like a backdrop, like
the ones they use in movies.

Thanks,
multiverseuser

Postby SirGolan » Tue Apr 22, 2008 5:31 am

Good idea on extending the scenery out. I just made ticket #264 for this. (man I wish I could use trac formatting in phpbb)
SirGolan
Site Admin

Postby multiverseuser » Wed Apr 23, 2008 5:27 am

Hello,

I tried to import the Zombie but the skeleton is messed up.
I think it is mean to work with ODE or some other physics engine.
The bones are pointed every which way and they are huge.
I think it is going to need a new skeleton, so it will take a little time to get working.

The reason I couldn't get the grass is that my PYTHONPATH was
pointing to both the SVN path and the Trunk path. For some reason it
defaults to the Trunk. Once I removed it, I got the grass and the Trees.

Pretty Cool!
multiverseuser

Postby multiverseuser » Thu Apr 24, 2008 2:08 pm

Hello,

Importing the dwarf to blender it is a bit challenging. There are some many
pieces to it. I'm thinking because of that a lot of variations of it can be made.
There are:
boots,
shoulder pads,
beard, mustache
shield
axe
belt
and kilt

I will create a skeleton because the original dwarf.skeleton seems to be missing.

thanks,
multiverseuser

PreviousNext

Return to Assets