3D models

Discussions on creating and importing assets into MV3D.

Moderator: SirGolan

3D models

Postby multiverseuser » Wed Apr 09, 2008 4:51 am

Hello

I have a few models that are free to use. By that, I mean
the license allows commercial use of them.

I was wondering if there is some kind of repository where
these models can be stored.

One of the big challenges is to create models to put in the world.
I'm trying to figure out what is the fastest way
to generate them.

I thought about building my own 3D scanner. I found this page
that outlines a simple way to accomplishing it.
http://www.chromecow.com/MadScience/3DS ... 3DScan.htm

Most the work is done by the software, I'm looking for a program
that can do point clouds, or NURBS.
Any help here would be appreciated.

why a scanner, because I can use small toys as models.
scanning should be easy.

Any thoughts?
multiverseuser

Re: 3D models

Postby SirGolan » Thu Apr 10, 2008 5:12 pm

I like your idea of a repository for free models. One thing I hope to get going soon is the infrastructure for MV3D on my end. Basically, I'll be running a login server, directory server, and asset server. This is sort of the first step in realizing the full potential of MV3D.

The idea is that you can run your own MV3D server that is registered with the official MV3D directory server and has access to authenticate users against the official login server. That way, users can register an MV3D account and sign in to your world (if you let them of course). It also makes it easier for you to link your world to someone else's. I need to really write up a Wiki doc on how I see this working. Maybe that'll be on my plans for tonight.

The asset server I run could easily just serve assets from the asset repository you mentioned. That would be cool- give users easy access to a library of assets. That's such a great idea!

Mike
SirGolan
Site Admin

Postby RTWfreak132 » Fri Apr 11, 2008 8:56 am

Hi guys.

I can think of a good way to generate some models. Mount & Blade is a python game where the devs released most of the modules to the players to allow modding the game. Although the game costs $25 to buy, there is a huge community of modders for it, most of them creating new models for the game. I believe the models are dds but those can easily be imported/exported. Although u can't use the original model files, the modded files are freeware. Here is a link to a repository http://www.mbrepository.com/modules/PDdownloads/viewcat.php?cid=9

That would give you quick access to a bunch of models for testing the engine. Also, if you can't get those mods to install, I could prolly zip a folder of models from some mods for you to use.

might be stupid, but was worth the post I thought --cheers
RTWfreak132

Postby SirGolan » Fri Apr 11, 2008 6:32 pm

Yeah, as long as the models aren't based on the models of the original game, and they are released with a license that allows them to be distributed/used outside of the game, that could be a good source of content. Neverwinter Nights has tons of great content like that.
SirGolan
Site Admin

Postby multiverseuser » Sat Apr 12, 2008 8:38 am

Hello

Yes, that will also work but there a lot 3D models that can be used as is:
For any purpose even commercially

If we can archive those first, that would be great.
Next we can focus on those 3D models that you can do derivative work.

Also I mean to include texture and other resources such as scripts, etc

Thanks,
multiverseuser

Postby SirGolan » Mon Apr 21, 2008 6:20 am

I should mention that there are a ton of Creative Commons licensed models at the low poly coop.
SirGolan
Site Admin

Postby SirGolan » Mon Jul 14, 2008 8:29 pm

The other day, I found out that all the WorldForge assets are released using an open source license. They're already in Ogre format and include lots of stuff that is general enough that we can make use of it. I'm currently working on setting up a real MV3D Account / Asset / Directory server. Basically, this would be the master server for everyone who was a part of the MV3D game instance (which hopefully will be everyone who runs a server :) ). What's most important right now is that if you point your MV3D server at this Asset service, you'll be able to use the WorldForge assets (and others) in your world easily.

My aim is to build up a repository of open source / free assets for everyone to use that will make world building even quicker. Eventually, anyone with a free account will be able to publish assets in this repository using the web interface I just built. In the mean time, anyone who has assets to add to it will have to submit them in this forum or to me directly.
SirGolan
Site Admin

Return to Assets